Knowing how to throw together a sweet crumb crust guarantees you have an easy foundation to a breadth of tantalizing and easy to prepare sweets. This versatile everyday basic works well for cheesecakes, bar cookies, tarts and pies. Any crisp cookie is a candidate for transformation into a sweet crumb crust: gingersnaps, chocolate, vanilla, lemon and mint wafers all work beautifully here. You can enhance the crust by layering in other flavors using spices and citrus zest.
This crust is a great use for graham crackers or cookies that are just on the edge of being too stale to be eaten on their own. I’ve also found that some of the gluten-free cookies and crackers we’ve tried that were unpalatably gritty on their own, lend themselves really well to a sweet crumb crust.
Sweet Crumb Crust
- May 23, 2021
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free graham cracker or cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Step 1
- Combine cracker crumbs and sugar.
- Step 2
- Add melted butter and stir until well combined.
- Step 3
- Turn into a lined baking 9″ square or similar sized baking pan and press evenly across the bottom, ensuring an even crust.
- Step 4
- Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until fragrant and firm. Remove from oven and cool before filling