To me, the canned green chile is a true wonder. Though I am usually a fresh produce person, there are a few things that I think are pretty great canned and green chiles high on that short list. Whether diced like in this dish or who to stuff with cheese or put on a burger, the canned green chile adds a bright juicy warmth without too much heat.
My Aunt Judy unveiled this crowd-pleaser years ago and it has been at many a family breakfast since. It doubles easily and there is a ton of wiggle room to play around with the recipe. Add in sautéed onions, or some chorizo. A few more eggs will stretch the dish out without sacrificing flavor and texture.
Chile Egg Puff
- April 20, 2021
- Print this
- 5 Eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, jack or pepper jack cheese (or a combo)
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and beat well.
- Step 3
- Stir in cottage cheese, butter, flour, baking powder and salt until incorporated.
- Step 4
- Add chilies and cheese and stir until well combined.
- Step 5
- Pour into a greased 8” square pan.
- Step 6
- Bake at 350 until lightly browned and firm in the middle, about 35 minutes.